The vision of Ger. Vassilopoulos, the Food Bank, was founded in 1995 as an independent, self-managed public welfare organization (Presidential Decree OJN 540/21.6.95).
It is the first body in Greece dedicated solely to the alleviation of poverty and the reduction of food waste. Since its establishment, it becomes an equal member of the European Confederation of Food Banks (FEBA), bringing to Greece the model and the structure of the rest of the Food Banks of Europe.
At a totally different period, he tries to raise the people’s awareness regarding the solutions to the problems of food supply insecurity while at the same time hundreds of tons of food which will have ended up in the dumping grounds are supporting the work of institutions and food kitchens all over Attiki.
In 2001 it moves from a smaller building in Melissia to its present day installations at Kryoneri, Attiki. This was yet another offer of Mr. Ger. Vassilopoulos to the Food Bank!
In an area of 1500 m2 with a two-store warehouse, refrigerated, deep-freeze chambers and all the necessary technical equipment, it gathers food, soft drinks, detergents and personal hygiene products which it offers for free; it’s only profit being the joy of giving!
Throughout its long operation, it has never received 1 euro from the State. It depends solely on private initiative, promoting volunteering, while it develops important know-how in its area of expertise.
It is registered in the National Register of Private Institutions in the Non-profit Organizations Sector for the rendering of social welfare services (092111IDE16006O14N/0505) and in the Special Register of Voluntary Non-Governmental Organizations (09211IDE16006O14N/0440), while it is controlled by the competent authorities.
In 1998, a branch is founded in Thessaloniki, which operates independently as the Thessaloniki Food Bank. It aspires to help in the creation of Food Banks in all the big cities of the country.