From the mountains of the prefecture of Ilia, at 13 years of age, in the early 1930s he found himself taking night classes in Athens. And he was just 22 years old when, together with two of his six siblings, he purchased a small shop at the number 29 on Voulis road. It was the first shop bearing the words “Vasilopouloi Bros”
He was known for his professional capacity. He was able to combine growth and innovation by constantly evolving his business, and brought leading practices and models to Greece.
In 1995, and after many years of attempts, he manages to tackle bureaucratic problems and establishes the public benefit purpose foundation FOOD BANK- Foundation against hunger. With great enthusiasm, he seeks volunteers and food donations, covering all operational needs and necessary equipment by himself.
He passed away at the age of 89, leaving behind a huge and remarkable work.
- Will you rent a warehouse?
- No, I will buy. This has nothing to do with Vasilopoulos. It is a separate foundation. I will buy an appropriate warehouse and appropriate offices in order for The Board of Directors to meet, for the volunteers to work and so as to ensure we all work under decent circumstances.
- Have you ever starved, Mr. Vasilopoulos?
- Of course. I have suffered hunger, poverty and being barefoot. We were seven children and lived in a 50-60 square meter house along with my grandfather, grandmother, father and mother. The whole family. After elementary school I attended night classes at a business school for two years all by myself. That was my education.
- Do you take me as a volunteer?
- With great pleasure!
Anna Panagiotarea, Ger. Vasilopoulos - Kathimerini newspaper, 17/7/1994