With rich Public Benefit activities in many different fields, St. Efthimios in Keratsini is one of the oldest and biggest canteens in the Food Bank's network.
It supports 300 families every month with foods. Alongside the food distribution, it runs a clothing collection and re-distribution center, a social coaching school and provides household goods and school supplies
In addition, in cooperation with the diocese Madagascar, it is sending humanitarian aid to one of the most deprived areas of the planet.
Keratsini, 19 February 2014 / Ref. no. 393
THE GREEK FOOD BANK
Ever since 1999, when the food distribution action began at the Holy Church of St Efthymios in Keratsini, the “GREEK FOOD BANK: Foundation against famine“ has been a valuable partner and has stood alongside us.
A lot of factors have changed since 1999:
- The number of families has risen to 300 from 60.
- The financial situation of the families has deteriorated and keeps getting worse at a fast pace.
- There are now families which live without even the bare necessities: food, electricity, heating, medication, and some of them even without water.
- The economic crisis had a major impact on families that were already facing financial difficulties
- Unemployment has even stricken families which were wealthy and entrepreneurs who were thriving a couple of years ago.
In spite of the major and painful changes, there is something that endured: our partnership with the “GREEK FOOD BANK: Foundation against famine“. It is a partnership that helps us to carry on despite the countless difficulties and the unforeseen developments of this ever-deepening crisis, which is detrimental to families, human relationships and individuals.
We deeply thank the „GREEK FOOD BANK: Foundation against famine“ for its support and constant help. We thank all industries, businesses, public bodies and private persons who participate in the efforts of the GREEK FOOD BANK and we kindly ask them to continue to offer their support, asserting that the GREEK FOOD BANK is active and offers substantial and valuable help to those in need.
We warmly wish that your sincere efforts come into fruition, for the benefit of all vulnerable groups of the Greek society in which hardship abounds.
On behalf of the Charity Centre
fr Konstantinos Chr. Margonis